December 2, 2013
Louisville, Ky.— During the last few holiday seasons, some people have received a now six-year old email called “Think Before You Donate” that contains false information about a number of nonprofits, including Goodwill. The email claims a person named Mark Curran is the president and “owner” of Goodwill. No one by that name has ever headed a Goodwill organization. Kentucky’s Goodwill is led by President and CEO Roland R. Blahnik, who has held the position since 1984. Jim Gibbons is the CEO of Goodwill Industries International since 2008.
We would like to address some of the other issues raised in the email. Please note the following facts about Goodwill Industries of Kentucky:
- Goodwill Industries of Kentucky is a registered, reputable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Donations to Goodwill support our mission of providing job training, employment, employment counseling, and adult literacy for people who face barriers to finding and keeping a job.
- Goodwill helped place 2,470 Kentuckians into jobs in the 2013 fiscal year.
- About 80% of Goodwill’s employees in Kentucky have a disability or other disadvantage that affects their ability to find and maintain employment.
- Goodwill paid almost $18 million in wages to Kentuckians with disabilities or other disadvantages in the 2013 fiscal year.
- 90 cents per dollar is applied to mission-related programming to help people with disabilities or other disadvantages achieve and maintain employment to gain a better quality of life. Less than 10 percent of revenue supports administrative costs.
Goodwill Industries International has also issued a response to the email rumors which can be found on their website.
We encourage donors to educate themselves about the organizations to which they give. Rest assured that your generous donations to Goodwill help Kentuckians develop critical job skills and find meaningful employment. Thank you for your support!